S&P 500 –What Happens Next?
Published On: 8 March 2023, 5:30PM | Annabelle Tang, Dealer
- From the chart above, we see that S&P500 has begun a downwards trend starting from the start of this week.
- Using the Ichimoku Cloud indicator, there are several things to note.
- With prices being below tankan-sen (green) and kijun-sen (red), this signifies an obvious bearish trend. We also note the two lines as resistance points to be reinforced later.
- As prices are below both senkou-span A & B (cloud) – commonly used/viewed as a leading indicator, this implies that prices are likely to continue the current bearish trend. Additionally, since the distance between prices and the cloud is quite wide, bearish view is further reinforced and strengthened.
- However, we must also take note of the thickness of the cloud. The thicker the cloud is, the greater the volatility, more consolidation and the stronger the resistance. With the cloud shown above being rather thin, this implies a high possibility of prices piercing through the cloud abruptly hence a stop loss must be placed for adequate risk management.
- A highly volatile and uncertain market presents itself as greatly opportunistic. We note two flat Senkou-B lines, serving as one of the strongest resistance reinforcement the Ichimoku Cloud indicator can provide. The first line occurred at 4,070 and the second line at 4,021. Traders can prepare to short at any price higher than 4,000 with a possible take profit of 3,937.25 or lower and cut loss at 4,025.
This material is provided to you for general information only and does not constitute a recommendation, an offer or solicitation to buy or sell the investment product mentioned. It does not have any regard to your specific investment objectives, financial situation or any of your particular needs. Accordingly, no warranty whatsoever is given and not liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss arising whether directly or indirectly as a result of your acting based on this information. Investments are subject to investment risks. The risk of loss in leveraged trading can be substantial. You may sustain losses in excess of your initial funds and may be called upon to deposit additional margin funds at short notice. If the required funds are not provided within the prescribed time, your positions may be liquidated. The resulting deficits in your account are subject to penalty charges. The value of investments denominated in foreign currencies may diminish or increase due to changes in the rates of exchange. You should also be aware of the commissions and finance costs involved in trading leveraged products. This product may not be suitable for clients whose investment objective is preservation of capital and/or whose risk tolerance is low. Clients are advised to understand the nature and risks involved in margin trading. You may wish to obtain advice from a qualified financial adviser, pursuant to a separate engagement, before making a commitment to purchase any of the investment products mentioned herein. In the event that you choose not to obtain advice from a qualifies financial adviser, you should assess and consider whether the investment product is suitable for you before proceeding to invest and we do not offer any advice in this regard unless mandated to do so by way of a separate engagement. You are advised to read the trading account Terms & Conditions and Risk Disclosure Statement (available online at www.poems.com.sg) before trading in this product. Any CFD offered is not approved or endorsed by the issuer or originator of the underlying securities and the issuer or originator is not privy to the CFD contract. This advertisement has not been reviewed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.