S&P Top Of Expanding Flag
Published On: 22 August 2022, 10:00 AM | Jeraldine Tan, Senior Dealer
- Equities had been on a down trend until recently probably after a few good data points such as Non-farm payroll where US added more jobs than expected. However the general macros are still not doing well and recession is still around the corner.
- Recently the market exhibited a flag pattern down to the bottom of the upward trend channel since Covid – a large correction in itself – similar move in absolute terms as the sell off during Covid.
- Since hitting the bottom where we expect depth of bids given most will not expect market to fall more than the last time, the past few weeks have been strong bull (weekly) bars up to the top of the flag where it was rejected.
- Traders with a bearish fundamental view can short as price trades below the low of this last rejection candle from the top of the flag pattern. Conservative bears may want to wait for double top which may not come.
- Bulls will buy into a break of the flag pattern with a view that market is actually improving. Conservative bulls may want to wait for market to correct and form a higher low before buying into the break of most recent high.
This material is provided to you for general information only and does not constitute a recommendation, an offer or solicitation to buy or sell the investment product mentioned. It does not have any regard to your specific investment objectives, financial situation or any of your particular needs. Accordingly, no warranty whatsoever is given and not liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss arising whether directly or indirectly as a result of your acting based on this information. Investments are subject to investment risks. The risk of loss in leveraged trading can be substantial. You may sustain losses in excess of your initial funds and may be called upon to deposit additional margin funds at short notice. If the required funds are not provided within the prescribed time, your positions may be liquidated. The resulting deficits in your account are subject to penalty charges. The value of investments denominated in foreign currencies may diminish or increase due to changes in the rates of exchange. You should also be aware of the commissions and finance costs involved in trading leveraged products. This product may not be suitable for clients whose investment objective is preservation of capital and/or whose risk tolerance is low. Clients are advised to understand the nature and risks involved in margin trading. You may wish to obtain advice from a qualified financial adviser, pursuant to a separate engagement, before making a commitment to purchase any of the investment products mentioned herein. In the event that you choose not to obtain advice from a qualifies financial adviser, you should assess and consider whether the investment product is suitable for you before proceeding to invest and we do not offer any advice in this regard unless mandated to do so by way of a separate engagement. You are advised to read the trading account Terms & Conditions and Risk Disclosure Statement (available online at www.poems.com.sg) before trading in this product. Any CFD offered is not approved or endorsed by the issuer or originator of the underlying securities and the issuer or originator is not privy to the CFD contract. This advertisement has not been reviewed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.