UK Oil At Bottom of ChannelPublished On: 10 May 2021, 9:00 AM | Jeraldine Tan, Senior Dealer
- UK Oil has seen great volatility as it rallied strongly from around $55 in Feb to around $71.88 on the back of covid vaccine news and an overall positive outlook to the global economy as talks of reopening emerged. Then came the OPEC meeting where they agreed to increase production, albeit by a small notch. This was enough to shake the confidence in oil and caused it to correct back to around $61.50 in early April.
- Since then market consolidated and formed a textbook triangle pattern from which it broke up. Market then came back to test the resistance-turned-support level around $64.80 and formed a double bottom pattern, from which it again broke upwards and drifted towards the $68 level where it saw some resistance. Prices fluctuated around that zone, retraced, and then proceeded to test $70.50 levels.
- Joining the two new highs and moving this upper channel line down to the most recent new low, we form a channel (in green). As of now, prices have just tested this bottom channel. Further, it had just peeked above the gray line which can be seen as a downward channel line on a lower timeframe.
- Bulls may await a double bottom pattern and enter a long position on the break of the neckline. As patterns do not always occur perfectly, we may see a double bottom with a higher low which could also be seen as an inverse heads and shoulders pattern. Traders however may still initiate a long position on the break of the neckline with a target to retest $70 levels.
- One point to take note however is the possibility of relaxed Iranian sanctions by the US which would come with improvements to their nuclear agreements (and its compliance). If sanctions are relaxed, it could unleash pent up crude oil supply from Iran which would increase supply and hence cause prices to come off. In that case, bears may seek to enter a short position should UK Oil trade below the most recent low. Not only does this form a new recent low, it also means price has broken the lower channel line firmly. Bears may seek to put their target levels at the next resistance-turn-support level.
This material is provided to you for general information only and does not constitute a recommendation, an offer or solicitation to buy or sell the investment product mentioned. It does not have any regard to your specific investment objectives, financial situation or any of your particular needs. Accordingly, no warranty whatsoever is given and not liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss arising whether directly or indirectly as a result of your acting based on this information.
Investments are subject to investment risks. The risk of loss in leveraged trading can be substantial. You may sustain losses in excess of your initial funds and may be called upon to deposit additional margin funds at short notice. If the required funds are not provided within the prescribed time, your positions may be liquidated. The resulting deficits in your account are subject to penalty charges. The value of investments denominated in foreign currencies may diminish or increase due to changes in the rates of exchange. You should also be aware of the commissions and finance costs involved in trading leveraged products. This product may not be suitable for clients whose investment objective is preservation of capital and/or whose risk tolerance is low. Clients are advised to understand the nature and risks involved in margin trading.
You may wish to obtain advice from a qualified financial adviser, pursuant to a separate engagement, before making a commitment to purchase any of the investment products mentioned herein. In the event that you choose not to obtain advice from a qualifies financial adviser, you should assess and consider whether the investment product is suitable for you before proceeding to invest and we do not offer any advice in this regard unless mandated to do so by way of a separate engagement. You are advised to read the trading account Terms & Conditions and Risk Disclosure Statement (available online at www.poems.com.sg) before trading in this product.
Any CFD offered is not approved or endorsed by the issuer or originator of the underlying securities and the issuer or originator is not privy to the CFD contract. This advertisement has not been reviewed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.